Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Storm

On our way to Utah, through West Texas, I saw this up a head of me.  I took a picture and had Rebecca send it to Mark so that he could look on the radar to see what I was fixin to drive into.  He called me back and said it wasn't a very big storm and I should be fine.


The hail started.  It was big and was hitting hard.  I slowed down but kept moving.  I was afraid to pull over.  There were signs on the side of the road that said the shoulder of the road was soft sand and cars would get stuck.  The rain was quite heavy and flooding was starting on the side of the road.  I kept moving very slowly.  I was about to pull over on a side street when there was a flash of lightening and a tree that was next to the road fell over.  


I told the kids to start praying that our windshield didn't break because of the size of the hail.  Then a car next to me lost their windshield.  The hail broke it.  
It seemed like forever, but I know it was just a few minutes.  We finally made it out of the storm and pulled over to see the damage to the car.  

I was not able to get good pictures with my phone.  The whole top and the hood are damaged.

Mark had the thought to tell me to pull over for about 15 minutes when I sent him the picture.  He didn't relay that message onto me.  Because of the direction of the storm, that 15 minutes could have made the trip a little less dramatic.

No comments: