Monday, October 5, 2009

Our Weekend Away


Mark and I decided to take a weekend away. Mark's mother, Helen (Grandma Swensen), came to stay with the kids.

We had the opportunity to go to Utah for Mark's 20 year reunion from his mission. It was nice to catch up with friends and to see old mission comps. We were also very blessed that the Shawcrofts were able to attend. President Shawcroft was Mark's mission president. I had never met the Shawcrofts before. They are an amazing couple. I understand why Mark has always talked so fondly of them. They are a true example of leading a Christ like life.


President and Sister Shawcroft




The missionaries that served with the Shawcrofts.

Mark with President and Sister Shawcroft



Saturday morning, we got up late (no kids to wake us at 6:30 am). We had a late breakfast and then wondered around Thanksgiving Point in Utah. I think it would be fun to bring the kids sometime.

We then decided to rent segways and ride them through the garden at Thanksgiving Point.

I haven't laughed like that in a while. It was so much fun. I felt like Mark and I were dating again. But I guess that is the point of a weekend away.




Mark


Dorias learning how to ride the segway



I love waterfalls and gardens.








Mark



Dorias



Dorias



Mark


Dorias


When we were done at the gardens, we had lunch and then went for a drive in Provo Canyon.



Bridal Veil Falls. This is where we had our first date.



We couldn't go up there again because an avalanche took out the trolley that used to take people to the top.


The leaves are changing and it is beautiful in the mountains.





This is near where we got engaged.


It snowed a little while we were up in the mountains.


Yes, I froze. Mark loves the cold and I don't. So... he wore shorts and I wore long pants and a jacket. We enjoyed our day together in the mountains.


We did visit the BYU bookstore and walked through campus. Campus has changed alot in the last 16 years since Mark graduated. The trailers we lived in were condemned soon after we moved and there are nice apartments that took their place. But we have some interesting memories of living in a trailer that was very tiny and very close to the other trailers in the park.


That evening we went and saw Julie and Julia. Not that impressed. I felt for Mark though. Not only did I drag him to a chick flick but since it was during the Priesthood Session of Conference in Utah, there were only 3 men in the whole theater.



Sunday morning we were supposed to meet up with Mark's brother. I hadn't slept well the night before so Mark let me sleep. By the time I got up and we got ready for the day, it was time to check out of the hotel and head to conference.


We were able to attend the 2pm session of conference. 21,000 people. I enjoyed going to conference instead of watching it on TV.




After Conference, we headed to the airport. After we arrived, we found out our flight was delayed. We had already turned in the rental car. We hung out at the airport for several hours. Finally we were able to fly home. We arrived in San Antonio at 1:30 am. We got home around 2:15am. Mark had to get up at 4:15 am to take his mom to the airport. We saw her flight on the board at the airport before we left to come home.











1 comment:

Stephenie said...

Sounds like a fun getaway. Thanksgiving point has changed since I was there. I don't think they had the waterfalls.