I did a lot of research about the Savior's life during His last week. I had really been pondering how to make this work for my little family. I could easily make the lessons fit my teenagers but how do I make it fun for my little ones? Then, I got an email from my best friend from high school and she had come up with some ideas. I had not talked to her about this. She just sent me an email out of the blue. Well, that started the ball rolling. I was able to really get things ready for our family's week before Easter. (I will change several things for next year, but I had to have a practice year)
Our first day was Palm Sunday. I focused on why the Palm leaves were of importance. I am planning on picking a different focal point each year for this day. His triumphant entry is so full of symbolizm.
On Monday, we focused on the cleansing of the temple. That the temple is a house of prayer.
We are making soft pretzels. The pretzels remind us to fold our arms when we pray.
Richard
I boiled the dough and then sprinkled salt on it. Then we baked them.
Tuesday, we talked about the betrayal by Judus Escariot. Matthew figured out that in today's dollars, 30 pieces of silver is equal to 1300 dollars.
Wednesday there is nothing written about the Savior. I decided we would focus on some of his parables.
Thursday was the passover dinner. It didn't work this year. Next year, I will have had practice and hopefully be able to make it work.
Friday was the Crucifixion. I am amazed at how much my children know. My little ones could not wrap their minds around someone killing Jesus when He did nothing wrong. We talked a little about the trials. I didn't want to go into all of it because I didn't feel the boys were quite old enough.
Saturday the missionaries came over for dinner. They joined in our little FHE. We talked about what Jesus was doing after He died and before He resurrected. We talked about the Resurrection also. After the missionaries left, we were supposed to make Resurrection Buns. We ran out of time so we made them Sunday morning for breakfast.
I am so glad that I did this. It will now be a new family tradition for Easter. I learned so much and I want my children to learn what I found. I want my children to know that Jesus died for our sins and resurrected so that we can live again. What a blessing we have to know our Savior and to have this gift.


No comments:
Post a Comment