Saturday, July 11, 2009

Amber, a new member of the family

I was going by the animal shelter every day to look for Lucky. I saw a little poodle in there and just couldn't leave her. I figured a new dog would help Rebecca get over the loss of Lucky. Matthew had also been asking for a "yippy" dog for about a year. I needed to wait until the twins were old enough to not hurt a "yippy" dog accidentally.




Soooo, I took the boys down to the shelter to see how the dog would be with them and how they would respond to the dog. We adopted Amber. She looks better than she did when we got here. I guess the previous owners let her out. She wandered off. Someone dropped her off at the shelter. She is microchiped so the shelter was able to call her owners. They didn't want her anymore because the dad has kidney failure and is going through dialysis. They can't take care of her anymore. So now we get to have her in our family. The kids all love her. She is potty trained, crate trained, and doesn't bark incessantly. That was on Friday, July 10.


Early in the morning on July11, I am guessing it was about 5:30, I was awakened by Lucky's howling in the backyard. I woke up Mark. He thought it was a sick coyote in the back yard. I knew it was Lucky. We went back there and she was on the backporch. She was very dirty and has a few scrapes but is in pretty good shape. She was gone for a week and it has been above 100 degree everyday. The stock ponds are dry because of the drought.
I had put an add in the paper and it ran in Friday's paper. (Boerne only runs a newspaper twice a week). I think that maybe someone had picked her up and then they saw the add in the paper and let her go. She had definitely been fed and watered while she was gone.
So now we have 2 dogs. A poodle and a golden retriever. They are both the same age and they are getting along pretty good. It will take a little more time and then as Richard says "They will be sisters"

No comments: