Saturday, February 12, 2011

Snow Day in South Texas

We got a little bit of snow. But there is a thin layer of ice under the snow. It started raining ice on my way home from a soccer meeting. I called Mark and told him I would have to go slow because it was freezing rain. It should not have been freezing rain because we had had such cold temperatures the whole week. But the rain was turning to ice the second it hit my windshield.

We had had teen temperatures all week. Our well decided to crack a pipe in this wonderfully cold weather. Mark did a temporary fix because the well company was only working on wells that were not working at all. Ours could still get water to the house. We kept a heat lamp in the well house pretty much the whole week.

We also rigged a heat lamp in the chicken coop because I felt bad for them. I guess they would have been fine but I thought they needed some heat.

The freeze mode was on the pool all week. We will have a high electricity bill this month. Mark figured out that the freeze mode costs us 12.50 per 24 hours that it runs. We had at least 5 days straight.

The state of Texas instilled rolling blackouts because the consumption of electricity was so high. we just aren't used to having such cold temperatures. They asked us to lower our heat to 65 degrees to help conserve electricity. That was too cold for me. I was freezing. I had Matthew help me bring wood into the house and we got the stove going. This way I could hang out in the living room with the stove.

School was canceled.


I decided that since we were "stranded" at home that I would make some homemade cinnamon rolls. The house was a little cold for them to rise. I set them by the wood burning stove to proof. It didn't really work but they still tasted yummy.

No comments: