Rebecca inherited migraine headaches from me (although I think hers are worse than mine ever were). What a horrible inheritance.
I dropped Rebecca off at school and then headed on my way to start my day. About 20 min later, Rebecca called and said that she was getting a headache and asked if I could bring her some Excedrin. I took her a diet coke and and Excedrin and then headed to the gym. About 15 minutes after I got to the Y, the front desk came looking for me. ( I don't answer my cell phone while I am exercising). They said that the school nurse was on the phone and needed to talk to me. She told me that Rebecca had started throwing up and I needed to come get her.
By the time I got to the school, Rebecca was violently throwing up and had passed out. The school wanted to call an ambulance. I had the nurse call ahead to Boerne Urgent Care and then help me get her to the car. They got her back almost immediately. She was so sick.
I didn't want the Dr. to use the heavy narcotics if we could get away from it. I knew she was bad off though. They started an IV and gave here some medicine for the vomiting. Then they gave her a non narcotic for the pain. It didn't help. They gave her another dose and it still didn't work. The Dr then told me that he had given her the maximum dose and we were going to have to use Morphine. I knew they had tried everything else-I just hated for Rebecca to get that medicine. They gave her a small dose and we waited about 10 minutes. Didn't work. They gave her some more and finally she got some relief. The Dr. told me she should go home and sleep. Well, Morphine does not let Rebecca sleep. It got rid of the pain but she could not sleep for almost 12 hours. Then she crashed and slept all night.
I was thankful for the Dr. that was on call that day. He was so compassionate. He really listened to my concerns and to the way Rebecca felt.



No comments:
Post a Comment