I couldn't find pictures. You don't want to see the ones I did have.
Rebecca had impacted eye teeth. They were laying sideways in the roof of her mouth. If they did decide to come in on their own then we ran a pretty high risk of them dissolving the roots of her permanent teeth that are already in her mouth.
We decided to have a maxillary specialist do the surgery. I am so glad we did. The expose and bond of her teeth was not as simple as originally thought.
Expose means they cut the roof of the mouth to expose the teeth. Well, there was a thin layer of bone over her teeth. It wasn't supposed to be there and the xrays and other films did not show it. The Dr. had to chip away the bone to actually expose the teeth.
Bond means that they attach a bracket to the tooth and then sew up her mouth. She has 14k gold chains attached to those brackets. The Dr. then sewed up the roof of her mouth and the gold chains are threaded through to the place that the teeth will eventually come down.
We jokingly have been calling these the "chains of pain". I don't think it will stay a joke once they attach those chains to her wire and actually begin to pull the teeth down.
Rebecca sailed through the surgery. We kept her on pain pills for the first 36 hours. Then just when needed. I think the hardest part for her was only being able to eat soft food for 10 days.
We did the surgery the morning after we got back from Disney World.


No comments:
Post a Comment