Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Thankful Day #8: Reading

Where would we all be without books?  I would read a lot more than I do, if I had the time.  It is hard on my family and my house when I become hooked on a book or series of books.


 I am so thankful that I can read and enjoy reading.  I can escape the world, I can laugh, I can cry, & I can learn.




When the children have all been about 4 years old, I have taught them to read.  My philosophy has been that if you can read, you can learn anything.  I want good strong readers.  This task has not always been easy.  Some of the children had an easier time learning than the others.  Some enjoy reading less than I would like or less than the others readers in the family.  That is OK.  As long as they are good strong readers, than life is good and the world is full of opportunities.    With the older 2, it seems that around 5th or 6th grade a switch went off and I couldn't get them away from books. The little short chapter books were almost a waste of time, in their eyes.  Nothing less than 300 pages was considered a worthy book.   The younger 2 are emerging still. (Magic Tree House books are wonderful adventures made just for this age)   We have fun with bedtime stories that Mark and I take turns reading to them.  (the bigger kids even enjoy those).   We are currently reading Adventurers Wanted:The Horn of Moran.  Dragons, trolls, magic, griffins, sphinx's are all perfect for little boys to close their eyes to and dream of their own adventures.




No comments: