We have been in a drought. Therefore, there has been a burn ban in effect. The brush pile has been getting bigger and bigger. I decided since the burn ban was lifted and there was not a breeze, that it was time to burn. It took about 4 hours of burning to get it all done. I didn't want a huge bon fire because I didn't want to scorch the trees around. We slowly fed the fire all afternoon and then let the evening burn down the ashes.
At one point I was quite nervous. We were burning the wood from the old tree house. We lost the huge tree that the tree house was in to Oak Wilt and so the tree house had to come out. We had all pieces burned until the base. I had Rebecca and her friend help carry the base over to the fire and just drop it on. It was going quite well until all of a sudden it just went up in flames. The heat was so hot that the water from the hose was evaporating as soon as I tried to spray it. I was keeping the parameter watered down so that the fire wouldn't get away from us. I was worried that we had gotten in over our head with trying to burn this. I just kept spraying water into and around the fire and eventually got it to go down and then kept watering the fire while the rest of the tree house burned.




No comments:
Post a Comment