Tuesday, September 29, 2009

My New Bathroom

Most of you have heard all about my bathroom but I am going to write it down anyway.

We started what was supposed to be an easy bathroom remodel in April-( 6 months ago.)

The tile guy came the first morning and started tearing out the tile in the shower and around the tub. He came and got me and as I walked into my room I could smell what he was going to show me. We had mold. Yucky, icky mold. The insulation was moldy, the sheetrock was mushy and black, the studs in the walls were rotten and moldy. I realized real quick that this was not going to be a simple remodel job.

I had a handyman working on the back of the house that day. I went and got him and asked if he could fix the studs, sheetrock, and insulation? He said he could.

The tile guy finished tearing out all of the tile. Then the plumber came in. There was no pan in the shower and the slope of the shower made the water run away from the drain and not into the drain. The plumber had to take out the old drain, reslope the floor, and then install a pan and new drain. When he went to take the old drain out the pipe broke in the floor. We have a slab foundation. That meant he had to jackhammer up the floor and fix the broken pipe. What was supposed to be a couple of hours for the plumber turned into 26 hours.

We were going to try to reuse some of the insulation that was not moldy. Nope. While the plumber was welding, some of the insulation that was still in the wall caught fire. That stuff ignites really fast. Thankfully, he had a bucket of water next to him to use while welding and was able to get the fire out.

Well, we decided that since we were gutting the bathroom we might as well replace the tub. I really didn't like the old tub. I went on a hunt for a new tub. I found one that was the same, except the color, as the old one. So it fit.

What started as a 2 day job was now pushing 7 days.

After the tile and walls were done, I started painting. I have to say that I learned a lot.

Then it came time for mirrors. When we bought our house 7 years ago, the previous owners took the bathroom mirrors while we were at the title company to close. We hung a little decorative mirror, that we had gotten for our wedding, above the sink. It was not a priority so the little mirror stayed for all that time. I looked for months for mirrors that would work in the bathroom. I am too cheap is part of the problem. I was not willing to spend much on the mirrors.

One day while Rebecca and I were at Home Depot, they were unloading a truck and I saw a pallet of mirrors. I asked if I could go through them. They had 3 that were the right color, the right size, and the right price.









Now it is done. And I love it.










No comments: