Sunday, November 1, 2009

Regional Choir TryOuts

On October 17, Rebecca had regional choir tryouts. I decided to chaperon. We arrived at the school to catch the bus at 6:15 am. There were 20, 7th and 8th grade, choir students trying out.

We packed board games, coloring book and crayons, snacks, lunches, and card making supplies. We had to keep the kids entertained quietly for 12 hours. Long, long, long day. I was so proud of the Boerne kids. They were very well behaved and they all had great attitudes.

Rebecca competed as a soprano 2 this year. Last year she was a soprano 1. I think I was more nervous than she was.

When they called Reb's number, she went up to the desk and checked in. She had to show that she had original music. Then they took her back to a room. She stood behind some partitions in the room. The judges couldn't see her and she couldn't see the judges. They told her what measure to start on and which measure to stop at. Then they started the music and she had to go. On one of her songs she messed up and started singing the soprano 1 part. She caught her mistake and switched down to the soprano 2 part. In some ways it hurt her and in others it helped her. She did make a mistake but she fixed it without missing any beats or stopping all together. I was very proud of her.


Ashley and Rebecca

When we go back on the bus to come home, Rebecca's choir teacher read the results. We had 7 kids from Boerne make it. That is the best we have done. We have never had any boys at the middle school level make it and this year we had 2.

Rebecca and Ashley (a girl from our church) both made the Regional Choir. YEA!!!.

No comments: