Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sweetest Nights


We had our first annual "Sweetest Nights"  choir fundraiser.  Basically it is a choir concert.  We had the girls bring different types of goodies.  About 2 weeks before, the choir teacher called me and said that the Choir Booster was no longer functioning (they had quit) and she was starting to panic about the fundraiser.  I met with her to help plan the event.  She told me that she had called me because she knew at our church that I had done things like this before for a lot of people with a little bit of money (Enrichment Night).  I treated it just like I would have an Enrichment Meeting.  It was not hard to pull it together.  Until....

The Choir teacher fell a week before.  She broke her jaw, tore her knee, and received quite the concussion.    Then I started to panic.  I do not have the music expertise to pull off a choir concert.  There was not way I could sub the class at the high school the week before the concert.  I was way too busy with things at home and the elementary school.  I had already made other commitments and didn't feel like I could cancel.


Lady bug cookies as our contribution to the fundraiser


I also realized that I didn't have enough help to set up the cafeteria for the concert.  The idea was to have a cupcake rack in the center of each table.  Then put all different types of "sweets" as the center piece.  We had pink, red, and white table cloths.  Super simple but still takes time to set up.  None of the mom's that I called showed up to help.  I started pulling kids out of class at that point.  I asked that as soon as the choir kids were done with their work in whatever class they were in, that they come to the cafeteria.  I had the twins work on their homework in the corner of the room while I worked on decorating.  We got it all done in an hour and a half.  
Rebecca singing "When You Say Nothin At All"  by Alison Krause




The concert could not have gone much better.  We had a few glitches with the sound system.  The choir teacher came to lead the concert (she wasn't cleared by her Dr yet).

We had planned on 150 people.  We had over 200 come.  Next year will need to be in a different venue.

No comments: