About 7 weeks ago, I started having thoughts of a change that was coming in our lives. I don't do well with change and I think Heavenly Father knows this. I am very rarely surprised with new callings for either Mark or me. I kept having these thoughts. I finally called my Dad and talked to him about these feelings. Then one evening as I was reading my scriptures and Mark was reading his, I decided to say something to Mark. I felt like if I said something then it would be aspiring to the calling. I never want to do that. When I told Mark what I was feeling, he said that he had the same thoughts.
Then the Stake President asked to meet with both of us. AHHH Was there any possible way that I could be wrong?
Mark and I met with the Stake President. Deep down I knew my feelings were right. The Stake President talked with us for about an hour. In that meeting he extended the call of Bishop to Mark. I know that he is up for the calling. I know the Lord will strengthen him where he needs to be strengthened and soften him where he needs to be softened. I was just fearful of the unknown and if I was prepared for his calling.
I talked to my Dad several time about my feelings. He assured me that it would be fine and that our family would be blessed. I also talked to my sister. She very frankly told me that at least while he was away from our family he would be serving the Lord. Ouch! I was being selfish. She was right. What better way is there to use your time then serving the Lord .
A little background information is needed at this point. Boerne has grown. When we moved her 10 years ago the ward was very small. There were 2 Boerne wards and they both were very small. Both wards grew. Alot!. The stake decided to split the 2 wards into 3.
Mark then had to pick counselors. We were given the lists of who would be in the new ward. Only 14 families from our old ward were going to be in the new ward. I knew quite a few of the women but Mark really didn't know many of the men. Mark picked his counselors. I don't know if he had ever met his 1st counselor. He sorta knew his 2nd counselor from our kids being on the same basketball team this past January. His executive secretary is also from the other ward ( but we knew that family well). The whole process was an eye opener to how the Lord inspires us to make good choices. Mark's counselors are great men and have done so much already to help him
On June 3, Mark was sustained as the Bishop of the Boerne Ward. In that meeting all callings were released in both of the old wards and the 3 new Bishops had to start from scratch.
Mark's first Sunday as Bishop was a 14 hours day. I took lunch and dinner up to the church for him.
Our life changed. Mark is going through a lot of white shirts now.
I know that Mark loves me and he loves the Lord. How could I ask for anything more?
We are in this together and I know we will be blessed. Life is an adventure and we are going to enjoy the journey as a team.


No comments:
Post a Comment