Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Weekend project

Mark took the 3 youngest kids to Houston for Sat and Sunday of Labor Day weekend for my niece's baptism.  Well...  I am not used to being left behind with only 1 child and that child being 17 and doesn't really need me.  I had 2 days to work on a project.  This is the project I picked.  I enjoyed this and began to wonder why I haven't been working on my quilting.  I kept telling myself I have been too busy.  We always make time for our priorities.  I think my quilting has just become a priority now that the kids are back in school.  
Just a little info about how this is put together.  The background is a mini quilt.  I pieced that first.  Then I appliqued the Texas words and shape, the star, the flag , the cowboy silhouette and the Alamo.  I drew the details of the Alamo on with marker and crayons.  After that, I made the back and then put batting in and quilted the whole thing together.  Then I put the binding on and hung this on the wall.  My fancy machine did not do the work for me.  I had to draw and cut out all the shapes.  I used a temporary fabric adhesive to stick the pieces to the background until I could get them sewn on.   It took about 10 hours of actual work, not including the thinking work.

No comments: