Tuesday, September 7, 2010

More Baby Chicks

As you know from a previous post that Goldie was sitting on eggs. Before I knew about that, I had ordered 9 laying hens (as babies). The week after the twins got their tonsils out, the babies arrived via US Mail. I am sure the post office loves me. I ended up with 10 babies.




Then that same week, on Sunday, Goldie's babies hatched. Out of 12 eggs, 4 hatched. They are so tiny. They are banti hens so it takes 2 eggs to equal 1 store bought egg. Full grown they are about equal to a Cornish game hen. These little babies follow their mama everywhere. It is so fun to listen to Goldie tell them what to do and they listen! When do kids ever listen to their parents on the first request? Goldie is very protective of her babies. The other hens learned very quickly not to mess with those babies.
You can kinda see the babies. Goldie gets upset if I get to close with the camera. She is fine if I walk up without my camera but doesn't want pictures taken.
So... all in all, we are up to 18 chickens. I am getting about 2 eggs a day (remember 2 =1). I have 4 babies and 10 teenagers. Hopefully, by Spring we will be getting 10 regular size eggs and 6 teenie eggs a day.

No comments: