Saturday, September 11, 2010

Our not so friendly backyard pet

This little guy has been living in the trees for the past 5 years. He had a mate that hung out in the trees too but she died about a month ago.

Then this last week, I noticed that one of our hens was missing. We called her a pigeon because she looked more like a pigeon than a chicken. We have lots of chicken predators so I didn't really think much of it. Then 2 of the teenagers went missing.



Yesterday, I caught this guy red handed. I didn't get the picture of him diving but it was pretty cool. Hawks are pretty amazing. Plus, they eat mice and snakes. I'm okay with that. I'm not okay with him eating my chickens.
So I did some research. I need to get a rooster. I had Mark kill all of our roosters and we ate them. Maybe one of Goldie's babies will be a rooster. A rooster will keep watch and warn the hens when hawks are around and they can run for cover.

No comments: