Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Tonsils

When the twins had their tubes put in their ears when they were about 2years old, the Dr. told me that they would also need to have their tonsils and adenoids out when they were older. He wanted to wait and do it the summer before Kindergarten.

Well, this past summer, we had lots of company and the boys got to sleep in our room on the floor. I heard first hand how bad they snored and how horribly they slept. Robert seemed to quit breathing at every breath.

I took them to the Dr. They both were scheduled to have their tonsils and adenoids out on July 22. Robert's airway in his throat was the size of his pinkie finger.

Robert


Richard

Richard


We had an awesome post -op nurse. I can't remember her name. She was wonderful for the boys and for me.
I have to brag a little on my boys. There was another lady in the same wing who had had her tonsils out. She was not a very nice lady. She was quite rude. We had to wait at the hospital for 4 hour after the twins woke up and I think this lady had the same requirements. She was not happy about it. We were at about the 3 hour mark when this lady demanded more apple juice. The nurse, who was our nurse also, told her she would go get some. As the nurse was walking past our beds, Robert said " Excuse me, nurse. May I have a green Popsicle. Will you please cut it in half so that my brother can have the other half?" The nurse smiled at Robert and told him she would go get it. We got our Popsicles before the other lady got her apple juice.
I struggled with the food that the boys were allowed to eat. I made jello squares one day. This is what Robert did with them. They were not eaten. We ate lots of peaches and macaroni and cheese. The boys each lost 4 pounds. They only weighed 34 pounds to start with.
See the flashlight in his hand? The boys had me look down their throats everyday to see if they had healed yet.

No comments: