Tuesday, December 21, 2010

BHS Choir and Concert

Rebecca's choir teacher had to go out of town for 10 days. (Her daughter was having her first baby and her husband is deployed) It was 12 days before their Christmas concert. How do you leave for 10 days like that? She was talking to her choir students about this dilemma. Rebecca told her that I could teach her class. I told her I would if I could arrange child care for the hour and a half difference in class schedules between the twins school and high school. It worked. Now the hard part... 4 different choirs at 2 different schools, 15 different songs and an accompanist only on some of the days. Plus there was an AP Theory class in there too. ( I also had the opportunity to hem all the choir dresses for the concert)

Well, I like to think we pulled it off. It was hard and at times. I really didn't think it was possible. I am not a choir director. I would much rather play the piano and I did get to do this quite a bit. Some of the songs, the pianist would conduct and I would play and vice versa on the days she was there. I learned a lot.

Mrs. West (the real choir director), Me, Mrs. Hieske(the pianist)
At the end of the concert, they called my name and gave me flowers for the work I had done to get the choirs ready for the concert. If I had know I was going to be called out of the audience, I would have worn something else.
After the concert, we went to dinner at a little Mexican food place. My parents were with us, Matthew's girl friend, and our little family. It was fun.

No comments: