Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Region Choir Try-Outs

Rebecca tried out for Region Choir.  We had to leave the house by 5:45 am to make it to the school in time to meet the bus.  I went as the BHS chaperon.  I don't know how Rebecca feels about me tagging along on all of her field trips but I enjoy it.  (She actually said she would rather me than some of the other moms that have offered to chaperon)
We got to the school that was hosting the competition around 8:00am.  The kids had to sign in, get their competition numbers, and have their music checked (original copies are required).  Then around 9am, the kids were given their cuts.  The all marked them with high lighter and then the lady in charge came back over the microphone and announced that she had given them one of the marks wrong.  AHHHH!!!.  (It actually did end up hurting the scores of one of my kids)  The kids then did warm-up and a vocal review of the cuts.  It was amazing to hear over 600 kids sing the songs.  All 8 parts!  Then the waiting began.........

All of the kids that competed from our school are very academic too.  They all brought their homework.  Weekends are not really days off.  They are days to get caught up on homework and work on projects.  Rebecca usually spends a good 4-5 hours each day over the weekend on homework.    We were not allowed to have any electronic devices or you were disqualified.  That included me.  I couldn't have my camera, cell phone, or kindle.  It also meant the kids couldn't have their graphing calculators.  Physics homework needs a graphing calculator.  3 of my choir kids are taking physics.

Rachel (kerrville ward), Rebecca, Ashley (boerne 1 ward), & Nathan (boerne 1 ward).  There were 3 kids from the Boerne 2 ward in attendance.  We also saw lots of BYU shirts from other schools.  Kinda fun!
The last contestant finally sang at 6:00 pm.  It was a very long day.  Rebecca and I had packed an ice chest full of cut up fruit, homemade cookies, candies, and other food.  It was a good thing we did.  The kids were starving.  They had thought of lunch but not other food.  We brought board games, stuff to make handmade cards, books, coloring books and crayons, and dot to dot puzzles.  Other schools brought different board games and play dough and things.  We switched games and in general played all day (since they couldn't do homework). 

Rebecca did not make Region but she did her best.  She is young and still has 2 more years to try. 

Around 7:30 pm, we left on the bus to come home.  I pulled into the driveway around 9pm.  It was a long day but I am glad I got to spend the day with my daughter and some of her friends.

No comments: