Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Walk-A-Thon

Every year for the last 10 years, our elementary school has done a Walk-A-Thon.  It was started the year before we moved here.  Then, my first year as PTO president, I decided that we didn't need any fundraisers except the WAT.  (that year we netted 35K and last year we netter 60K)  The WAT has continued each year since and there are not any other fundraisers. 

Mark takes a few hours off the morning of WAT and helps me set up what ever I have volunteered us for.  This year was the shade tents for 1st grade and then where ever else they needed help.  The WAT starts around 8am.  Mark walks with the kids for about an hour and then heads to work.

Last year, the twins each walked 10 laps (2.5 miles). I decided to sponsor them at $5 a mile this year. AHHH! The twins decided that they were actually going to walk this year.  Robert walked 41 laps (10.25 miles) and Richard walked 27 laps (6.75 miles).  The kids played whenever they got tired of walking.  They would come and sit on my lap and rest.  They ate tons of junk.  Richard talked and played more than Robert. They both had a great day and I am very proud of them for walking so far.

No comments: