Friday, June 8, 2012

I Am A Child of God

The first grade at our school had a talent show.  The boys wanted to sing a song.  We picked I Am A Child of God in English and Spanish.  I was a little concerned because of mixing church and state.  I asked the teachers and administration and they said it was fine because the teachers weren't making them sing the song.

The boys worked hard at memorizing the words in Spanish.

They had 3 different rehearsals to get all the kids ready.  I think because of this, the talent show was one of the best talent shows I have been to that involved little kids (and some that involved adults and big kids)

Several times during the week of rehearsals, I had mom's tell that their kids thought Richard and Robert's song was the best in the talent show.  That worried me also.  With all the "Mormon" things in the media and with the LDS.org push that we have had in our area ( billboards and commercials), who knew how this would go over.

Going into the talent show I said a small prayer that the boys would do their best and that the spirit would be felt.  Then I read the program.  They had the boys finishing up the whole talent show.  My prayer was not so small anymore.  We have lived in Boerne for 10 years.  I have been very involved with the community and I knew that most people knew we were Mormon.  My boys did a wonderful job.  My prayer was answered.  There were very few dry eyes from the adults in the room.  After the talent show, I don't know how many people came up to me and said that they didn't realize that Mormon's were Christian.  I am always amazed at that comment but I know it is true.  My boys helped someone feel the spirit and helped people to realize that all of us are "A Child of God".

1 comment:

Joe and Emily said...

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.