Matthew turned 18 at college. I was a little sad that I didn't get to be there for it. I had planned on sending a care package. My trip to England interfered with the plan. That was OK because Helen (Grandma) was going to drive to Provo and take Matthew and my nephew, Riley, out for their birthdays. She had even planned on making a cake for each of them. (Helen was packed and ready to go to Utah and then a blizzard hit). So much for that plan... I think we were all a little disappointed.
I took these pictures right before he left for college. I thought this top one was funny. At this point in his life, texting was very important. It still might be....
I have said for the last few years, that my job is to work myself out of a job. If I have done my job correctly, then each of my children will be ready and able to move out when the time is right and be just fine. I have not quite worked myself out of my job with Matthew but I am very close. I think we are at the point where I can just be his friend and confidant. (If he wants me too). I can give advice, if he asks. But ultimately, the decisions fall to him and he has to be the one to make them. It is nice to watch him make correct choices and make grown up decisions. I have truly been blessed with this child of mine. Matthew has grown up into a responsible young man. I am very proud of him.


1 comment:
You are too good to sit back and give advice "if he asks". I'm all about giving it when I think my big boys "need it." But it is sooo good to have them be great, on their own men really.
Post a Comment