Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Tower of London- Day 2 PM


We decided to take a tour of the Tower of London.  I was surprised at the history behind this castle.

We did the audio tour again.  This allowed us to go at our own pace and made the day much more enjoyable.  It also let me skip out on the part in the tour with the torture chambers.  I had no desire to see how people can be that mean to other people.


These are the gates that used to go right up to the Thames River.  The boats would come in a drop people off.  Later it became where the prisoners were brought in the walls of the castle.

This would allow crossbows to be shot through the walls of the castle and still protect the archer.

This was a replica of a catapult used on the walls of the castle. 

Ceiling in one of the entrances to the castle

The White Tower
I only toured part of this tower.  I was pretty impressed with the suits of armor that the knights wore and even the horses.  I have no idea how they were able to fight.  Mark was able to tour all of the tour.

These are statues.  I thought they looked pretty real until you get up close.

Some of the prisoners in the tower, were there for 10+ years.  This is one of the engravings a prisoner did in the wall of the tower. 

Another engraving in the wall.

We were able to see the crowned jewels while here.  The crown is beautiful.  We were not allowed to take pictures.  

This whole trip to England was an eye opener for me.  I, sorta paid attention in High School history classes but I had never tied it all together.  The tour of the London Tower was sad for me. - To see the brutality that was done to the people in the name of "Christianity".  It was sad to see what greed and jealousy can do to a person.  

Mark wanted to show me an open air market.  We took the tube down to the area the market was in.  We walked through the market.  We ended up buying a gift for Rebecca.  

Then Mark wanted me to try real "fish n chips".  We stopped at a pub to eat dinner.  The food was really good.  As we were leaving, another table of people made the comment "Oh, they're American"  I guess they had been trying to figure us out.  I knew they had kept looking at us and were talking about us. 


We then headed back to Mark's place.  



No comments: